As you all know, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. I intended for this post to be more upbeat, showcasing the amazing companies that are donating a portion of their proceeds to a cause that affects more people that we care to know. Here are some facts I came across in my research:
- 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime.
- Breast cancer is most commonly diagnosed cancer and the second leading cause of death among women.
- Over 220,000 women are estimated to be diagnosed with this terrible disease – with over 40,000 of them passing away.
Those three facts alone make me want to jump out of my seat and help. Here are some things that you can do:
- Have yourself checked – and more than anything check yourself!
- Join a fundraiser, such as the National Breast Cancer Foundation, participate in an event such as the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I could list dozens of other fundraisers, walks and runs that you can participate in to help do your part.
- Become an advocate by helping legislate change – sign up to find out when there is something going on in your local area.
- Donate – even if it is a dollar or two. Every little bit helps! Be sure to do some research and confirm that the philanthropy that you are donating to is legit.
- Purchase items from brands that will donate a portion of their proceeds to breast cancer awareness and finding a cure. Below are some examples of brands that are taking part.
Ralph Laurens initiative, The Pink Pony, is their way of helping the cause. 25% of the purchase price of pink pony products in the United States will benefit the Pink Pony Fund of the Polo Ralph Lauren Foundation,
Bobbi Brown Pink Ribbon Lip Gloss Collection – available October 1st
Aveda Limited Edition Hand Relief with Shampure scent – my FAVORITE hand cream!
Origins Drink Up Hydrating lip balm in Berry Splash
Clinique’s Great Skin, Great Cause Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion (comes with a super cute key chain too) – for each bottle sold, $10 will be donated to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
Dick’s Sporting Goods is offering free shipping on all Sport Your Support gear.
My favorite radio morning show, The Elvis Duran Show, is selling their Hello Lady t-shirt…with 100% of the proceeds donated.
These are just a few that I have found – there are dozens! What are you going to do to support breast cancer research? I just signed up for the Race for the Cure in January of 2015…wanna join me?