*I was treated to a free service in exchange for my opinion of MY SALON Suite and my experience. All opinions are 100% my own, and you can definitely tell my the “after” photos.
I really like long hair. You know, the kind that lays nicely way below your shoulders – oh, like 4 – 5 inches below. It’s got a natural wavy texture to it, and has great color and body. Then I look in the mirror and I see my hair. It’s longer than its been in ages and I am super glad about that fact BUT the ends look a little sad (maybe a little more than a little sad…). When I blow it dry, I add some argan oil to the ends in hopes to make them look healthier.
I have very fine hair, and fine hair and long hair, unless you have a lot of it, don’t really mesh well. I’ve held back cutting my hair short for two reasons:
- My husband loves long hair. Don’t give me lip here – I know I am my own person and make my own decisions about my hair, but as I mentioned above – I do like long hair too!
- Short hair is harder to do than long hair. At least with long hair, if you’re having a bad hair day then you can just put it in a bun. (Which happens to be what I do 75% of the time, if not more.) With short hair I feel like you have to do it every day – that or wear a baseball cap. I once got a pixie-ish cut. It lasted as long as it took to grow it out.
Finally, I took it upon myself to let the dream of long hair go. I’d rather have healthy hair that looks great than the straggly hair I held on to for so long. I was invited to try out My Salon in Palm Beach Gardens and figured what better time than the present to make a change than now!
I know what you’re thinking, “Dana’s going to a stylist for the very first time and she’s going to get a drastically different cut than her usual…she’s nuts.” At first I was a little hesitant but I was told I would love Rachel, and I am thankful I took that advice. More on that later…
I expressed how I did really like long hair, and Rachel explained that you have to style your hair in the way it looks good – don’t hold on to something that doesn’t work!
5 Super Important Healthy Hair Tips
- Always use a heat protectant when using tools like blow dryers, flat irons, curling irons and wands.
- Product is key – it protects your hair and also helps to give it body when needed, holds it in place, and makes it look fabulous!
- Practice using a new tool with the tool OFF. Get used to holding the tool, turning and twirling it and then turn it on! (I wish I met Rachel a few months ago before I tried to curl my hair and instead accidentally smacked myself in the face with the curling iron. Lesson learned.)
- Try to first rough dry your hair until it’s about 30% dry and then finish blow drying with a brush to create smoothness.
- If you’re going to invest money in your haircare, invest a little more to get better quality tools and products.
BEFORE & AFTER
Now that I’ve looked at the before and after photos, I can’t believe that I didn’t do this sooner. I also can’t believe that I am showing you the before pictures – why didn’t anyone tell me that my hair looked like this!? Obviously I do my hair when I go out in public and this is my hair fresh out of a ponytail and post pilates but…
Rachel took the time to show me how to achieve this beachy wave look and I will be sure to practice with the flat iron OFF first. What do you think? I am super happy with the final results, totally appreciate Rachel’s time and honestly, and would definitely go back. She also does color, which she loves to do! You can check out her Instagram page HERE and her Facebook page HERE.
ABOUT MY SALON SUITE
When I arrived at MY SALON Suite, Rachel gave me a tour of the facility. It’s such a cool concept. There are suites throughout the building and each suite houses a different stylist. There were a lot of hair stylists, but there were also estheticians, eyelash extension experts, nail technicians and more. Rachel used to work in a salon but wanted to own her own business, and MY SALON Suite was a perfect fit. She is in charge of her own destiny, per say. She makes her hours, takes care of her suite and has been loving it for about a year now!